Monday, May 14, 2018

Welcome to Phonetics 2

Welcome to our Phonetics Class Blog, a space where I would like to give you the opportunity to find useful material to learn about English Phonetics and improve your pronunciation.
     Let me tell you a short story about how I started teaching Phonetics. Some years ago, I was asked to teach my first phonetics course, I was thrilled to share with my students a subject that I thought was going to be fun and easy.   Unfortunately, I was totally wrong.  My students that quarter struggled a lot to master the main phonetic concepts, there were times when I sensed that they could not understand what I was talking about.   I felt even worse when most of my students failed their first mid-term.   I have to be honest I felt like a complete failure as a teacher.   How was that possible?  I tried really hard to teach them the best I could.  I really couldn’t believe it.
     One day, I decided to make some changes, used different strategies that might help them to learn phonetics and enjoy the learning process.   I spent a lot of time online trying to find things that have proven to be successful with other teachers or things that even though were not closely related to phonetics may be useful.   Thank God,  my new approach was a success!!!   My students began learning the concepts, and even enjoyed the subject.  I felt so proud of them, and I felt relieved.
     Right now, I am teaching Phonetics again, and I would like to have an online space where you can come and practice, even from home.  I hope that you find the experience relevant and useful for the improvement of your English language skills.
Bye for now,
Prof. Ramos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Assignment #4

Dear Students,    In our previous session, we reviewed the high front vowels and became familiar with the rest of the front vowels.  Here a...